Thursday 10 December 2009

Yule Decorating

Well it’s that time of year again when you drag out 30 years worth of decs & decide which ones for this year. I used to put everything out, it look like Xmas had thrown up in the loungeroom then someone asked me what colours I was using for Xmas. Light bulb moment, you can colour theme. Since then we’ve had blue & silver, purple & silver, silver & gold, red & white, aqua & white, & this year it’s aqua & white with a touch of red.

I even splashed out on a new tree this year. I’ve been moaning for years I want a new one but dh kept saying we only just bought one. I finally stopped to think about that & realised we bought the old one in a sale at GB’s in 1989!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I actually started decorating nearly 2 weeks ago only to find we needed lights with white cords to match the tree. Finally found some that didn’t cost an arm & a leg & the decorating continued. In the mean time I’ve been making some Xmas gifts that I can’t show here yet or the recipients might see them. :-)

door

tree

piano

   table wreath

I saw something similar to this in a Myer display & thought it looked pretty spiffy. Committed it to memory & sent dh down to the garage the next day to find one of our many vine wreaths & search for some silver spray paint. It’s hanging over the centre of the dining table.

Itraymobile

I’ll use the 2 tier cake stand as a table centrepiece on Xmas Day & Boxing Day. For now it looks pretty on the traymobile.

quilts

My Xmas snowball quilt made of swap blocks from my dearest quilting friends in the US & Oz. I wanted to hang it this year & being a fairly lazy person I wanted to avoid having to sew a hanging sleeve on the back so I came up with this idea.

quilt hanger

We bought a length of 2 x 1 & dh painted it the same blue as the walls. He then screwed a row of pegs to it & attached it to the wall. ‘Voila’ a quilt hanger to suit all size quilts & wallhangings. I’m really pleased with it. :-)))))

village

Our Lemax village. Each year we try to add something new, this year it’s a cute little glasshouse I couldn’t resist.

glasshouse

swap decs tree

This tree is decorated with gorgeous handmade decorations I’ve received in decoration swaps over the years.

7 comments:

cinzia said...

Love the idea of the xmas wreath over the table and good cost too.

Hey that is really cheating with the pegs but like you say it sure beats having to make all of the rod pockets and comes up well too.

Julie said...

You have done a lovely job, the colour theme is a great idea!

Birdydownunder said...

lovely decorations

Ozjane said...

Lovely decorations..silver and teal were my first adult tree decorations...in a flat in Hawthorn in Melbourne....a little silver tree and the silver and teal baubles.
Have progressed to gold and green for the last few years.

FlourishingPalms said...

Wow! You are really decked out! The aqua/silver/red combo is beautiful, and I like the way you have it in your new header. The blog is looking nice, clean, with inviting white (gray, in your case) space. You've done a good job with it.

I totally covet your snowball/nine-patch quilt. So simple, yet so effective. You can be truly proud of that one. And your hanging method is perfect. Hopefully we'll get to see other quilts hanging in that space, that you'll blog about, in the future.

Hope someone in the family plays that beautiful piano too. Thanks for sharing your home with us!

Jenny said...

Always great to get the Christmas decorations out, isn't it. Everything looks lovely.

catsmum said...

yes you're MY kind of decorator :)