Sunday 2 November 2014

5000 Poppies- my poppy designs

I heard about the 5000 poppy project a little while ago & thought, I must look into that, but as always I got distracted. Last week I had the luck/pleasure of meeting 2 lovely ladies involved in it, Carol & Marie, & knew it was time to jump in. Carol gave me a brochure with some patterns to try, I also googled patterns, & got busy crocheting & knitting. The patterns I tried were lovely, but quite time consuming, so I decided to have a go at making up a pattern. I had changed one of the patterns I'd tried, adding an extra row of petals, so was feeling brave enough to try. The beauty of crochet is that it is very quick, & as you are only dealing with 1 stitch at a time, unlike knitting, it's easy to unpick & keep modifying.

So here it is, I hope you like it!
PS I've added a variation, scroll down to see version 2.


Jim's Poppy 

(for my dad)


You Will Need:

(UK crochet terms)

8 ply green wool/yarn
8 ply red wool/yarn
black 'eyelash' yarn
4.5mm crochet hook (Use bigger or smaller if you prefer).
  
 Using green wool/yarn make 4 chain & join them with a slip stitch. (or make a slip ring)
Row 1, 2 chain, then 11 trebles into the ring. End green wool.
Row 2, Join in red wool, work 2 chain & 1 treble, into the first space, 
work 2 trebles into each space. 
Join with a slip stitch.
Row 3, 2 ch & 1 treble into the first space, 
*1 treble into next space, 2 treble into the next.** 
Repeat from * to **. around the poppy. 
Join with a slip stitch. Fasten off yarn.

Sew in all ends & trim neatly.

Work a row of backstitch in black eyelash yarn around the green 'spokes.' (Easier to see with lines than the fluffy yarn.)

Use your darning needle to flip up the fluffy part of the eyelash yarn.

Make more! :-)



Pattern without pics.

You Will Need:

8 ply green wool/yarn
8 ply red wool/yarn
black 'eyelash' yarn
4.5mm crochet hook (Use bigger or smaller if you prefer).

Using green wool/yarn make 4 chain & join them with a slip stitch. (or make a slip ring)

Row 1, 2 chain, then 11 trebles into the ring. End green wool.

Row 2, Join in red wool, work 2 chain & 1 treble, into the first space, 
work 2 trebles into each space. 
Join with a slip stitch.

Row 3, 2 ch & 1 treble into the first space, 
*1 treble into next space, 2 treble into the next.** 
Repeat from * to **. around the poppy. 
Join with a slip stitch. Fasten off yarn.

Sew in all ends & trim neatly.

Work a row of backstitch in black eyelash yarn where the red & green rows meet.

Use your darning needle to flip up the fluffy part of the eyelash yarn.

Version 2 


Alfred's Poppy

my great uncle killed in action, France November 3rd, 1915




Work to end of Row 2 of version 1 then:
Row 3 Move up from row 2 to row 3 with just a slip stitch then, *1tr, 2tr, 1tr, 2tr, 1tr, slip st.,** repeat from * to **, making 4 petals.

I will add the eyelash wool. :-)

For more info on the 5000 Poppies project pop over to the facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/5000Poppies/ 

or blog: http://5000poppies.wordpress.com/

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jan, Have added Jim's Poppy link to the 5000 Poppies blog. Looks wonderfully simply. Enjoy making.
Lynn

Anonymous said...

Pretty colors but it doesn't look like a poppy. It's just a red circle. Poppies have petals.
Jan

Jan Quigley said...

Hi Anonymous, thank you for your comment. It is hard to see the shape of my poppy in a 2 dimensional photo, but it does cup up making it a 'stylized' poppy. Please feel free to share your poppy pattern. cheers, Jan

Carolyn Ruth Breese said...

Hi, the Uncle Alfred Poppy seems simple and effective - even good for beginners - Well done. Caz

Anonymous said...

I love that you shared this pattern and the man behind it. Makes it very special. Thank you xxx

Jodiebodie said...

Hi Jan,
I love your poppy patterns - very simple but with the cupped shape. I have been working through various 'petalled' patterns but they do not produce a 'cup' shape like real poppies do. I was on the verge of designing my own to achieve this shape and then I came across your patterns. I love that they are dedicated to your ancestors and have included a link to your patterns on my round up of poppy patterns on my blog Lupey Loops (lupeyloops.blogspot.com.au).
Please let me know if you do not want your pattern listed. Thank you for sharing your pretty poppies. :-)
Jodie

Jodiebodie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Made a few of the poppies. They 'cup' lovely. Just like a poppy should. Pattern appreciated. Thanks. Claire

Louisette said...

Wonderfull poppies's crochet , love this flower

Louisette said...

Lovely post for Remembrance Armistice Day Post article