Friday 8 April 2011

Colourful Friday - Hexagons

hexagons2

One of the many Kaffe Fassett hexagons I’ve hand pieced for my 50th birthday quilt. Ok so I turned 50 last July, I didn’t factor in moving interstate when I set my deadline. :-)hexagons3

I’ve made quite a few.

DSC03149

I tried, unsuccessfully, to work out how many I‘ll need. They will have aqua triangles between them.

sashikotablecloth

A Sashiko table centrepiece I designed & taught.

image Stained glass hexagon I also designed & taught.
cover2Christmas deckies, I designed & taught. I also made them for a Christmas swap. I also popped some in with my Christmas cards for Christmas 2009.   japanese bag My first hexagon bag made with lovely Japanese fabrics.nana'shexagon

The hexagon bag I made for Mum’s birthday last year.

I started another one a couple of years ago that I really must finish!!!

hexagons4

I made these so many years ago to be appliquéd to a double bed quilt that is sitting waiting to be finished……………….

hexagons1

The printed hexagons were to make a quilt for my doll house, you can tell how small they are by the size of the cotton reel. I gave up & I couldn’t find the few hexies I actually made.

part 2 

The hexies I added to the Stitching Round the Block round robin I was in.

Well I ended up with far more hexagons that I’d expected!!!

If you’d like to see some incredible hexagons click here:

http://www.venusdehilo.com/2011/03/a-year-of-hexies/

Please check out the other ladies joining in for Colourful Friday here:

http://daisyquilts.blogspot.com/

13 comments:

Michelle Ridgway said...

You have certainly made some lovely things using hexagons.

Melody said...

You have heaps of wonderful hexies here. I adore the quilt on the bed.

Bev C said...

Hello Jan,

Good luck with finishing your quilt. Love the rose applique.
Have a wonderful weekend.
Bev.xoxo

Anonymous said...

What a lovely range of hexies Jan and how clever you are designing and teaching them and i really love how the hexie bag you made your mum has turned out,love the colours

Carol said...

What a wonderful array of hexagons. All gorgeous.

Jenny said...

Am I the only quilter who has not been bitten by the hexagon bug yet? Never made one in my life! But I must admit that I purchased that bag pattern and a set of hexagon templates several years ago - as yet untouched!

Jan Quigley said...

Thanks everyone. I was really quite surprised when I saw how many hexie projects I'd made. I'd think of one & go looking for a pic & then find a pic of something I'd forgotten.
Jenny give the hexie bag a go, it's a nice hand project to work on while watching the tele. I have a Harry Potter themed one close to finished that I must get out & get on with.
I'm really glad this was the theme this week it made me get out my Kaffe blcosk which I haven't touched since last year, it's time to get on with it too.

Jan Quigley said...

That was Kaffe blocks!! :-)

FlourishingPalms said...

What a nice assortment of ways to use hexagons! I especially love your 50th (err, 51st? 52nd?) birthday hexagon quilt. It's really gorgeous. Keep going on that one, for sure!

Karen said...

Hi Jan. Just grabbing some time to catch up on everyone's posts and have a look at what is happening. Love all the hexie photos you have shown. The bed quilt is going to be stunning. Love the sashiko work, too! And you have reminded me that I have that bag pattern, too. Needs doing. Great to see the embroidery worked so well. A wonderful collection of hexagons.

RG said...

Hi Jan, yes I'm catching up too :D
Love all your hexies!! Hey wow girl... you did so well and aren't Stephanie's year of hexies amazing!
So is your 50th quilt...it's coming along beautifully.
Oooh CF hexie style was a fun one :D

suzitee said...

Wow...so many hexagon projects! I have never made a hexagon, I'm sad to say...must give them a try. Yours are so cute!

Jan Quigley said...

Thanks all, hmmm maybe my 52nd birthday quilt Linda, I have so many things going at the moment it won't be finished for this birthday.