Saturday 17 November 2012

October Books

3 books, 2 winners this month.

Ok Eat, Pray, Love, another book I'd heard of, but knew nothing about. I really quite enjoyed the first section, Italy, but I'm afraid India & Indonesia, Bali to be exact, weren't enjoyable. 

Basically this book is one woman's journey to find herself & tell us how wonderful she is along the way. I didn't think she was wonderful, I thought she was ignorant & shallow, but that's just my opinion & it's worth the paper it is written on, lol. I think it's simply one of those books you'll just love or hate.

Call the Midwife by Jennifer Worth, another true story but this time about a woman in the east end of post war London delivering babies & home nursing in sometimes the most appalling conditions but with such a dedication you just thank god there are people like her in the world. Jennifer turns up to work at what she believes is a small hospital, but what turns out to be a small convent, with a team of midwives who also happen to be nuns. I watched & loved the tv series so was rapt to find there was a book & just had to have it. It's brilliant, funny, sad, moving, entertaining & inspirational. Now this is a book I can't imagine anyone not enjoying.

The Hot Flash Club by Nancy Thayer, this was a fun book. Four woman with very different lifestyles meet by chance & become firm friends. It soon becomes apparent that they can all help each other with specific problems & set out to do so. I've now found there are more books in the series so I look forward to tracking them down as I'd like to continue following their stories.

Yay I've caught up my book blog posts. I've just been so busy lately I haven't had much time to blog. I finished painting & wallpapering the main bedroom for ds to move into & I'm currently turning the 'study' into a playroom for the Playstation. I hope to get it finished quickly as there's a couple of pieces of furniture I really want to get painted this month so I can get into Xmas mode for December.

5 comments:

Sweet Pea said...

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who believes Eat Pray Love is a waste of a read! I haven't seen the movie and I don't think I'll bother. I've watched the ABC series of Call the Midwife and enjoyed it thoroughly.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on these books...I'll keep an eye out for The Hot Flush Club...

lily boot said...

totally agree on Eat Pray Love - found the Italian part mildly entertaining but frankly found our heroine to be a bit of a bitch. I felt so sorry for her husband - imagine being flicked over so publicly simply because he wasn't exciting enough. Nasty self absorbed woman. As for Call the Midwife - I ADORED it! Wasn't it fascinating!!!!!!! There were scenes that left me completely mindboggled (ping pong balls ?!?!?) and so many that were incredibly moving. What a fascinating career and what amazing lives the people of the East End lived - would cheerfully push it onto anyone who knew how to read - we all need to have our mind's expanded in this way. Will look up Hot Flush Club - sounds a good giggle.

FlourishingPalms said...

I always enjoy reading your book reviews, Jan. I haven't read any of those you've mentioned from the last three months, but you can be sure I'm going to look for them. "Call the Midwife" has recently begun here in Florida on the PBS station and I'm hooked on it. I didn't know there was a book too. Thanks for sharing great information and opinions! (I don't think I'd like "50 Shades of Grey" either).

Jan Quigley said...

Thanks everyone, I see we all seem to have the same taste in books. Yes Eat, Pray, Love was a disappointment. Another book I didn't really know anything about, just that it was popular. Unfortunately just another load of hype like 50 Shades, but not as seedy. Lol, maybe they should introduce the Eat, Pray lady to Mr Grey, I'm not quite sure who'd come out on top, pun intended. Two totally self-absorbed people what a laugh!
Yes Call the Midwife was just brilliant. The show was very close to the book which I always like. There was some very funny stuff about the stern nun, played by Pam Ferris, that they must have decided was a step too far for the show. I especially liked 'Chummy.'

Julie said...

I have now put Call the Midwife on the top of my wish list! Thanks!