Monday 28 March 2011

Knitting & Crochet Blog Week

I only discovered this event last night but I’m going to jump in. :-)

Here is the link if you’d like to jump in too:

http://eskimimiknits.com/knitting-and-crochet-blog-week-2011/

Each day for a week the idea is to blog about an aspect of knitting/crochet as suggested by the organizers.

Here are today’s guidelines:

Day One: 28th March. A Tale of Two Yarns.
Part of any fibre enthusiast’s hobby is an appreciation of yarn. Choose two yarns that you have either used, are in your stash or which you yearn after and capture what it is you love or loathe about them.

A yarn I love, well that would have to be any good quality 100% wool yarn, 8 ply. Although I learnt to knit & crochet over 40 years ago my knitting & crocheting has always been basic so I haven’t tried out tons of yarns.

zaphod

Here is the stash I’ve built up for this Winter to make a granny rug. Of course Zaphod had to check it out.

everyday

Here are my everyday wools in the colours I love at the moment. I’ll be using these to make a tea cosy for my Mum for Mother’s Day.

A yarn that didn’t work for me would have to be Feathers, now I had no trouble knitting a scarf with it, but as soon as I tried to make a Christmas stocking & had to increase & decrease I totally lost the plot. It’s very hard to undo & once I’d gone wrong somewhere it all got too hard & got put aside.

Feathers Knitting Yarn - Click Image to Close

I had to grab a pic of a ball of Feathers off the internet as I gave my ufo away.

I’m also not fussed on acrylic yarns, my experience in the past when knitting jumpers is that they pill & stretch out of shape. I notice a lot of people are using them now so they may well have improved. I’d be keen to hear if that’s the case.

No comments: